J.E. Austin Associates, Inc. (JAA) was founded in 1986 for the purpose of assisting businesses, governments, non-profit organizations, educational and financial institutions, producer organizations, and other organizations around the world to improve productivity, to enhance competitiveness, to strengthen management and strategy implementation, and to facilitate economic development.
JAA’s practice areas have centered primarily on strategy and management consulting for the development of emerging and developing economies. The focus of this work is on increasing business competitiveness and growth, increasing and enhancing public-private dialogue processes, developing mechanisms in the public and private sectors to improve their competitive advantage, boosting trade and investment opportunities, fostering institutional and organizational improvement, intensifying performance of small and micro-sized enterprises, supporting the private sector in increasing food security, and expanding social development capabilities of an economy.
JAA stresses facilitation and building local capabilities. The company therefore emphasizes the “downloading” of tools, methodologies, and approaches to local partners and ensures that they have the best information, lessons, and skills available to identify and implement initiatives most likely to achieve sustainable results. JAA believes that economic growth, competitiveness, and other development challenges are best addressed by empowering local stakeholders to own the development process.
Since 1986, JAA has completed more than 600 projects in 120 countries. In any given year, JAA’s professional staffers work on projects in more than 30 countries worldwide. JAA’s primary project experience areas include assignments related to:
- Agribusiness, Agriculture and Food Security
- Decentralized Economic Growth
- Enterprise Development
- Generating Investment
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- National, Regional, and Industry Competitiveness
- Policy and Public Private Dialogue
- Workforce Development
JAA maintains an active network of experts, both generalists and specialists, covering a deep and broad range capacities related to each of the areas above. JAA quickly mobilizes its core staff, supplemented by these experts, to help clients understand and assess critical needs, define strategy, and implement interventions to achieve strategic goals.
JAA’s clients include many private companies; business associations, national, and state governments; foundations and other nongovernmental organizations; and international finance and assistance agencies. JAA has carried out assignments funded by:
- African Development Bank
- Asian Development Bank
- Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA)
- European Commission
- Austrian Development Agency (ADA)
- Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
- Inter-American Development Bank (IDB)
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)
- U.K. Department for International Development (DFID)
- United Nations (UNDP, UNIDO, UNHCR, UNICEF, FAO)
- U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID)
- World Bank Group, including the International Finance Corporation (IFC)
- And Foundations such as: Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Citi Foundation, and the Rockefeller Foundation